I’ve been doing a lot of decorating around our apartment and lately my focus has been with our bedroom. Since we rent, I don’t want to spend a lot of money on furniture that might be the wrong size for our next place. Plus, I don’t want to have to move a bunch of heavy pieces! Instead, I’ve been focusing on sprucing up what we already have and redoing versatile pieces that will work in any space. I have a pretty good idea of how I want our home to look, at least color-wise (lots of gray and white with pops of color and metallic accents) so I’ve been trying to take what we already have and alter it to fit that aesthetic. One of my latest projects involved an easy diy headboard.
We already had a really nice headboard that was sturdy with a great shape, but I wasn’t in love. I wasn’t a huge fan of the studs surrounding the edges and the color was a little off. In some lighting, it looked like a nice light brown but in our bedroom it turned darker and even looked a little green. Not quite the look I was going for.
I found some great home fabrics at JoAnn and fell in love with this charcoal gray material. It’s soft but durable enough for furniture and I love the subtle melange finish. I had a hard time finding a gray that wasn’t too blue or too brown but this one was perfect, and much nicer than the old material.
The headboard was pretty simple to recover, it just took some precision. I started by placing it face down on the new fabric. I cut off some of the new fabric to make it easier to work with but I made sure to leave plenty of extra just in case.
I began at the bottom of the headboard. I made sure to pull the fabric tight so there wouldn’t be any excess bunching on the front of the headboard. I just used a regular stapler to secure the fabric to the headboard, but a staple gun would be much faster. I also folded over the edges as I went so that it would have more of a finished look. Just make sure to pull the fabric tight around the corners!
Since the top of the headboard was curved, I had to create pleats in the fabric to make it fit correctly and not gape in areas. This part is really about pulling the fabric tight against the headboard and using plenty of staples to secure it down.
The headboard turned out really well and I’m so glad I decided to recover it. This was actually pretty easy to do (the hardest part for me was finding the right fabric) and I’m really happy with the results. I loved the shape of the original headboard but the color just wasn’t working for me. Upholstered headboards can be pretty expensive so I’m really glad I was able to save this one and turn it into something I love. Now to decide what to do next!